Friday, March 5, 2010

here we go.

Action is required. I have big goals and they're not just going to happen. Wednesday, March 3rd I joined a large chain gym with a branch very close to my job. It's convenient and they had a special offer that sealed the deal. I am not a treadmill kind of girl. I enjoy taking classes and having an instructor guide me through a workout.

On Thursday (yep... the very next day!), I headed off to Pilates. The class was a great size and the instructor really explained everything really well. In college, I did tons of Pilates so I was thinking it might be a bit too beginner... but I think it ended up being a great fit for my current body. It was an hour and offered a lot of abdominal work, which I really need. I woke up Friday morning fairly sore in my deep, lower abs -- yay! Friday I also met up with my online friend, at the gym and we took a Body Flow class. Holy Moly - THAT was a workout. We did arms, abs, back, squats, and everything else under the sun. I left drenched in sweat and feeling great!!

That is two workouts this week, and I didn't start until Thursday! I feel totally confident that I can get 3-4 workouts in each week... and really enjoy them.

Now, check out our yummy dinners!
http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/fishandseafood/r/salmonasparagus.htm

(link above) Salmon and Asparagus: This one was very very easy and good! Cooking in foil packets is awesome - and you can't beat the clean up time. This husband felt the salmon could have used more spices, but I was very happy with it. We also made a serving of whole grain instant rice. All in all, I'll give this one at A-. I'll certainly cook it again, but maybe add more flavor before cooking. Check out how healthy this looks!

We made this on Thursday night for dinner: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Honey-Grilled-Shrimp/Detail.aspx

These were great too! It required a bit more setup time... but they turned out beautifully. I steamed the asparagus we didn't cook on Wednesday and made more whole grain rice. Yes, the sides were the same... but why change a good thing. This meal was in my belly before I remembered about photography.

I think I'll be posting numbers on Fridays (weigh in days). This is very difficult for me. My husband doesn't even know these numbers... (and I may not let him read this) but here goes nothing:

Current Weight: 163.5
Goal Weight: 133
  • My first goal is 20 pounds, which would put me at 143, and I would still be overweight. Sigh.
  • Long term, I would like to lose 30 pounds and stay around 133 pounds.
  • Based on this website, it says my 'ideal weight' should be 115 pounds (being 5'2''). However, my healthy weight could be within 10% of this (up to approx 126 pounds). I think I would feel incredible at 133, and I really feel confident putting my goal at that number. Once I meet my goal - I'll re-evaulate based on how I feel.

I've been at this 2 days and I'm feeling great! Please comment if you have any questions, suggestions, dinner ideas, anything! I'm hoping this can create a great accountability for me and I'd love to help you too.

5 comments:

  1. That salmon looks great and I love me some asparagus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go you! You have inspired me! I will try that recipe tonight, I think. Looks super easy & delish, which you can't beat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good for you shannon! i've missed your posts, too. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can do it!!

    One thing I might recommend as far as eating better is cutting out things like breads and pastas. (although I am sure that is not something I have to tell you). I was diagnosed with celiac disease (gluten intolerance) a few months back and just within days of me cutting these things out, I had already dropped almost 10lbs. I realize it can be very tough to reevaluate your diet, it sucks actually. But as far as gluten intake goes, decreasing it can also help with energy level and it helps to learn to read labels and just be more overall aware of what you are eating in general.

    Not sure if that is helpful advice or not, but thought I would throw it out there. Good luck girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love LOVE asparagus.

    It's great to find a blog like this. It's definitely inspiring. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete