Friday, March 5, 2010

well, ain't that a kick in the pants?

Today I called my 89 year old grandfather to check in, say hi, and tell him that I was thinking about him. Our conversations are generally pretty random - but sweet. Let me share a little piece of our convo from today that didn't share that same sweet sentiment:

(about 5 minutes into the conversation)
Him: "Well, how's your health?"
Me: "ummm... fine."
Him: "Well, are you sure?"
Me: "Yep. Sure." (wondering what in the world he's talking about)
Him: "I noticed the last time I saw you (mid December) that you had gained weight".
Me: "uuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh....."
Him: "But I guess if you stay active that weight shouldn't be too much of an issue... Are you active?"
Me: :::: changes subject ::::

In December my (incredibly unsympathetic) doctor made a comment about my weight. It stung, but I felt like she was doing it from a doctor/health view - so went to my car, cried my eyes out and tried to suck it up. This, however, is the first time that someone who knows and loves me has said anything. And this was far less painful to hear from my Grandfather than my doctor. I think I'm just in a difference place than I was in December. Just 3 months ago I was refusing to look at the facts. Now, there is not hiding and it's something I'm accepting as a challenge. Just think, if all these people are noticing how I've gained weight - they'll all notice that I've lost it too... right?

My grandfather my have zero tact... but he's right. He was being honest. Hopefully the next time he sees me he'll say something equally inappropriate about how dang good I look in my jeans! ha!

1 comment:

  1. I know how that feels! I had an aunt get drunk and tell my husband that I really needed to lose weight (ouch). That is definitely true about people noticing that you've lost weight..I get comments all the time on how much weight I've lost. It feels good and it's very motivating.

    Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete